Many rooms, projectors, and TVs across D11 are equipped with an AirTame casting device. These devices help you to show a device's screen up on a larger platform for the entire room to see as well. The following instructions outline how you can connect to these devices using a D11 Chromebook. For instructions on how to cast from other types of devices please see the linked articles below
Here is your step by step guide for how to present with Google Cast from a Chrome browser
- Open the Chrome browser on your device
- In the top right corner of the browser, select More (the three dots in the upper right-hand corner of your Chrome Browser) and then select "Cast"
- Choose whether you’d like to share your current tab in Chrome (Cast tab) or your whole screen (Cast desktop)
- Select the name of the Airtame device.
- When you are done and wish to stop sharing, select Stop.
- The latency for Google Cast on AirServer is around 650 ms under good network conditions.
- Maximum bitrate can be as high as 20 Mbps but average bitrates will be significantly lower.
- Most Android devices encode Google Cast at a resolution of 720p at 30 fps, but Chrome OS and casting from the Chrome browser as well as a few devices offer higher resolution.
Known issues and limitations:
- Google Cast will only work on Airtame 2.
- We support Android 8 and up.
- Some phones require the Google Home app to cast - How to cast from Google Home app.
- No PIN code support. Google Cast does not provide PIN code support therefore PIN will need to be disabled or Pin override has to be enabled as well
- Chrome OS version 74 or newer might not find Google Cast as casting destination. Check this article for troubleshooting.
- Most devices will not transmit video protected with Digital Rights Management (DRM) such as Netflix for copyright and legal reasons, this however is device vendor specific and is a limitation set by the content providers.
- Samsung specific features "Smart view", "Screen mirroring", "Quick Connect" and others are using Miracast protocol therefore will not work with Google Cast.
- If you stream a Chrome tab from a browser/ChromeOS and navigate to e.g. YouTube.com the connection will drop, as the computer initiates a media-playback session, which is not received by Airtame. However, if you start the mirroring session while being on the YouTube domain already you can successfully mirror YouTube from your laptop
- Google Cast on Airtame does not support casting from within the application (by pressing the Chromecast button). This means Airtame will not show up as a casting destination within the Youtube, Facebook apps. Users can still access this content by sharing the full screen.
As always the D11 Technical and Support Services team is ready to answer any questions you have. Feel free to reach out to us through chat at support.d11.org, by phone at 520.2211, or by submitting an IT Support Ticket.
This article was adapted from "Present to Airtame with Google Cast". (2021). Retrieved from http://help.airtame.com/en/articles/3458006-present-to-airtame-with-google-cast