All D11 Employees have the ability to use their issued laptop computer (Windows 10 Laptop), or another computer/device, to make and answer calls using the Cisco Jabber application.
Please see this link for a quick reference. If you cannot find your answer on that page, you can follow the steps below to set up your Jabber Client on your laptop.
NOTE: setting up the Jabber app on a mobile phone is very similar to these steps. However, for more specific steps please see this article for iOS or this article of Android phones (articles not published yet)
To set it up please follow the steps outlined below.
- On your D11 computer find the search bar, located in the lower-left quadrant of your screen.
- In this area, you will type the word "Jabber" to initiate a search within Windows and across the internet. You should see a result showing the Cisco Jabber application at the top of the list. Click on this or hit your Return key. This should open the application already installed on your computer.
- Once the application is open, if you have never logged in on this computer, you will be prompted to sign in. Please use your full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your network password. You should then see the "Sign In" button turn from grey to blue in color and you will click that button to initiate logging into the system.
Before proceeding please read: The following steps outline how to access the Cisco Self Care Portal, which is only available for staff when on the District network and is only needed if they need to reset their PIN or don't have Jabber available and need to forward their phone. If you are not on the D11 network or you do not need to reset pin / forward your phone you do not need to proceed any further in the article.
- Once you are logged in, look to the top left corner of the Jabber application window, you should see your initials here. Click on your initials to reveal a callout menu. In that menu, you will want to click on the "Settings" option towards the bottom of that menu.
- In the "Settings Menu" look on the left-hand side, most of the way down the list, and you will see "Self Care Portal" as an option, click on that option and then click on the "Open Self Care" hyperlink that is revealed to the right in the text area. This should open a new browser window that takes you to the Self Care Portal login screen.
- On this page, you will again enter your full D11 email and network password. Once you have done that click on the "Sign In" button located directly below those boxes.
- In the left margin, you should see a few options, choose the one that says "Call Forwarding", click on it to reveal the forwarding options. Your screen may look slightly different, the important step you want to take here is to make sure you have unchecked the box(es) that say "Forward all calls to:..."
- You can now close that browser and go back to your Jabber application. In the Jabber application, you will want to check one more thing. In the bottom left area of the application, you should see an icon that looks like a computer monitor. If you do not see that, e.g. you see a telephone, click on that icon to reveal your options.
- In the "Device for Calls" dropdown you want to change it to "Use my computer".
- You should now be set up to use your computer to make and receive phone calls. If you close the Jabber application all calls should be forwarded to your D11 Voicemail.
If you have any questions please contact the D11 Support Center at 520.2211, use our chat at https://support.d11.org, or search our Knowledge Base for more articles.