NOTE: This article only pertains to macOS (MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini) computers typically used by Colorado Springs School District 11. For information about other systems please see the articles linked below
- Windows (Dell OptiPlex, Dell Latitude, Dell Precision)
- iOS (iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro)
- Chrome (Chromebooks)
Colorado Springs School District 11 maintains and repairs all computing technology/devices that are issued out to staff and students. As technology ages, parts become hard to come by and more costly to obtain. At a certain point in a device's life cycle, it will be considered Beyond Economic Repair Cost (BERC). The typical lifecycle of a macOS computer is 7 - 10 years (based on historical data and trends of Apple Inc.).
With that in mind, the Technical and Support Services team has created a list of computer systems that will be supported and maintained throughout the school year. The table below shows the approximate calendar year during which select Apple computer models were originally released. The models shown here are those most commonly purchased for use by staff and students who require support from D11's Technical and Support Services Department. To quickly estimate your computer's age, simply find the model in the table below.
- Computers will be maintained and repaired if there is a failure to the system based on parts availability and cost of repair in relation to the value of the device.
- Any repair that is more than 70% of the value/depreciated value will be considered a total loss.
- Anything not on this list will not be repaired and considered BERC.
- These are the approximate years that the models first became available. Historically, Apple updates models every 12-18 months, and we typically switch models as they become available.
- This list will not change until the following school year. The list below are all supported devices through SY 2021-2022. (Scroll left and right if you cannot see the entire chart)
|Year||iMac 21"||iMac 24"||iMac 27"||Mac Mini||MacBook||MacBook Pro||MacBook Air||macOS Version|
|2020||iMac20,1 / 20,2||Macmini9,1||MacBookPro17,1||MacBookAir10,1||macOS 11.x.x|
|2017||iMac 18,1 / 18,2||iMacPro1,1||MacBook10,1||MacBookPro14,1/,2/,3||MacBookAir7,2||macOS 11.x.x|
|2015||iMac16,1 / 16,2||iMac15,1 / 17,1||MacBook8,1||MacBookPro11,4/,5||MacBookAir7,1/,2||macOS 11.x.x|
|Anything below this line is considered Beyond Economic Repair Cost (BERC) and will not be supported if it has an issue|
|2011||iMac12,1||iMac12,2||Macmini5,1 / 5,2||MacBookPro8,1/,2/,3||MacBookAir4,1/,2||macOS 10.13.x|
- macOS model support decisions are made based on security updates and the ability to go to the next major version of macOS as well as the ability to maintain security updates going back 2 previous versions (Apple's typical support range)
- Current supported versions of macOS are
- macOS 11.x.x
- macOS 10.15.x
- macOS 10.14.x