NOTE: This article only pertains to Windows (PC) computers typically used by Colorado Springs School District 11. For information about other systems please see the articles linked below
- macOS (MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini)
- iOS (iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro)
- Chrome (Chromebooks)
Colorado Springs School District 11 maintains and repairs all computing technology/devices that are issued out to staff and students. As technology ages, parts become hard to come by and more costly to obtain. At a certain point in a device's life cycle, it will be considered Beyond Economic Repair Cost (BERC). The typical lifecycle of a computing device is 5 years (7 years for a Desktop).
With that in mind, the Technical and Support Services team has created a list of computer systems that will be supported and maintained throughout the school year. The table below shows the approximate calendar year during which select Dell computer models were originally released. The models shown here are those most commonly purchased for use by staff and students who require support from D11's Technical and Support Services Department. To quickly estimate your computer's age, simply find the model in the table below.
- Computers will be maintained and repaired if there is a failure to the system based on parts availability and cost of repair in relation to the value of the device.
- Any repair that is more than 70% of the value/depreciated value will be considered a total loss.
- Anything not on this list will not be repaired and considered BERC.
- The years listed below are approximate years that the models first became available. Historically, Dell updates models every 12-18 months, and we typically switch models as they become available.
- Laptops in the 7000/9000 series with the same last two numbers will be supported with their corresponding 3000/5000/6000 series models
- Precision Laptops / Desktops (not typical purchases) will be serviced along the same timeline as OptiPlex / Latitude lines. The Director of Technical a
- This list will not change until the following school year. The list below are all supported devices through SY 2021-2022. (Scroll left and right if you cannot see the entire chart)
|Laptop / Desktop Computers|
|Year||OptiPlex||Latitude 15"||Latitude 14"||Latitude 13"||Latitude 11"|
|Anything below this line is considered Beyond Economic Repair Cost (BERC) and will not be supported if it has an issue|
|2010||780, 980||E6510||E6410||E4310, 13|